So today I took Maisy back to see Dr. Shori. (Whom we saw twice last week.) When she re-checked Maisy's ear, she was shocked to find that the hole in her ear drum had not healed at all. The infection was not all responding to the antibiotic. So she prescribed a new antibiotic to Maisy and said if it does not work, she will refer us to an ENT. (It is rare for an ear infection not to clear up after the first antibiotic. )
The new antibiotic is really strong. Dr. Shori prepared me for lot of diarrhea and told me to give Maisy an over the counter pro-biotic for children and lots of yo-baby yogurt. Then she electronically sent the new prescription over to CVS for me.
I went right over to CVS off of Hall Johnson and picked it up. When I got back to my dad's I read the bottle- "Take 2.5 teaspoons by mouth twice a day. " ( So that is 2 and half of these syringes.)
Hmmmm that seemed like a lot of medicine to me at the time, but I measured it out and mixed it in her formula. Down it went at 1pm.
But I couldn't stop thinking that it seemed like a lot of medicine. (The first antibiotic that I was giving her only called for 2 mL once a day.) So I called Dr. Shori and left a message, wanting to double-check the dosage. I felt a bit like an annoying mom that calls the doctor too much, but I just had to know.
I put Maisy down for her nap and on we went with our day. But I couldn't get rid of that nagging feeling about the dose. I hadn't heard back from our doctor, so I called the pharmacy.
I was immediately transferred to the lead pharmacist. Turns out he had written the wrong dose on the bottle, she was only supposed to be given 2.5 mL. Instead she had been given almost 6 times the prescribed amount! ( The correct dose is only half of one syringe. Remember I had given her 2 and half syringes full of medicine!)
He apologized, said it shouldn't be toxic and we hung up. I freaked out. Jeff called CVS corporate office and filed a complaint. I called her doctor and left another message. Then the pharmacist called back, wanting to know Maisy's weight and said that it could actually be toxic at her weight.
When I got off the phone with him, the nurse from Dr.Shori's office recommended that I call poison control. I was on the phone with them for 15 minutes while they told me that she could have renal failure and kidney failure from that high dose.
I was scared, because of a mistake by the pharmacist, my daughter had been poisoned.
I was prepared to take Maisy up to Cooks Urgent Care. But then Dr. Shori called me herself and said, "watch her closely, luckily she was only given one dose, watch for blood in her diaper, and/or no urine output, or if she becomes lethargic."
So that is where we are now. It has almost been 8 hours since the overdose and all appears to be well. I will talk to Dr. Shori again in the morning to double-check her. The pharmacist at CVS has been calling me non-stop trying to get me to come in and get a new label for the bottle. (Fat chance- I am NEVER going into a CVS again.) The head pharmacist at Corporate CVS has called us, promising a full investigation.
But none of that matters. This is a lesson learned- listen to that little voice inside. If something seems wrong, it probably is. Check all your prescriptions. We are trusting these people with our health and they DO make mistakes. I am just thankful that my precious Maisy seems to be okay. If I had not questioned her prescription and had actually continued to dose her at the incorrect amount, she WOULD have had renal and kidney failure. Be an advocate for your child and your self. Ask questions and be cautious.
I am so thankful that she is okay. I have a lot to be thankful for tonight.