Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Quarantine- March

As we headed back from Spring Break, professional sports were canceled and there were so many people wearing masks. Our school district 'extended Spring Break' for 2 more weeks, "just as a precaution".

There was an emptiness to the roads. We heard some panic about toilet paper and bread shortages, but Jeff and I assumed it was just 'the crazy people'. We went to Rio Mambo on Friday night after we got unpacked and our waiter told us we were his second table of the night. It was 9:30 pm.

On Saturday, we continued about our routine- Jeff was catching up on work and I was doing laundry. We went to Pei Wei that night for dinner because we were all tired and wanted a quick meal. If I had known that was going to be the last time I sat down in a restaurant to eat, I would have picked somewhere else.




On Sunday morning, Jeff and I woke up early and decided we needed to get food. What if all this hype was real? Was there really a pandemic coming? We went to Alberston's at 7:30am and it was true- no toilet paper, no bread, limited meat... we started to feel concerned.  Monday began our first day of 'no school'. It wasn't an extended Spring Break. It was staying home so you don't get sick. I feel best when I have a schedule, a plan. So I set about a little routine for us. I didn't want to stress anyone out, because I had a feeling that this could last more than 2 weeks. So our plan was to exercise/dance, read, do a little learning, and try to keep on a routine of waking up and going to bed at a decent hour. 





Schoolwork was mostly 'for fun'- nothing would be graded and there were no major assignments. So I just made up activities for us to do. We celebrated St. Patrick's Day, went on lots of walks and played with our animals. 






I worked three days at the Dallas Market Center, at that point no customers were planning on coming in for Kids Market the following week. But we were doing lots of FaceTimes. Stores were already struggling as consumers were afraid to go out and shop. (Although Jeff and I went to the grocery store 5 times that week, spending three times our usual weekly grocery 'budget' in an attempt to get extra meals just in case.) Grandpa hung out with the girls while I worked those few days. It was a nice break for the girls to get out of the house. I loved getting out and going to the Market too- I knew it wouldn't last long, so I wanted to work as much as I could. 



My lettuce farm :) 




It was pretty rainy that week, but somehow whenever we wanted to go out and play- it cleared up. We were thankful for mild temperatures, Jeff's job, our health, and the comforts of home and family. Charles had been stock-piling toilet paper for months, he was kind enough to give us half a case since we couldn't find any in stores. We will be set till June now! 







We are 're-discovering' things we forgot about. Like our cornhole game & darts. We are cooking every meal here- and we are getting creative with our menu. I am keeping a notebook with what we eat each night. I am wondering how long I will have 'quarantine entries'. 








The girls did 'research projects' for our homeschool lesson. Maisy is now an expert on Florence Nightengale and Afton on 'Plague vs Corona'. I am hoping this learning continues- they seemed to enjoy it! Maisy has asked to be homeschooled for years due to the increasing difficulty that comes with dyslexia. Afton is tolerating me as best she can. But teenagers are not meant to be with their mothers for 16 hours a day.

Maisy dressed up like Florence Nightengale for her presentation 
 I secretly think dogs might be behind the "COVID". Coco has been walked at least twice a day since we have been directed to stay home. She is in the best shape of her life- lol.


The girls are learning so many life skills now- like how to work out when you don't have a gym or organized sports team to direct you.  




They are experiencing cooking with Dad.


Today it was warm and pretty. Maisy missed having a reason to look fancy (so do I!), so she put on a summery sundress and we took impromptu bluebonnet photos. Nothing stops Texas bluebonnets- not even a pandemic! We haven't done these since she was in preschool. 




Afterward, the girls went swimming. The water was a little chilly, but it was a good diversion. I am thankful it is spring and not the dead of winter when all this is happening. 



The Dallas Market has officially closed. Almost all of North Texas is now 'sheltering in place'. More school work is being assigned as our teachers scramble to create engaging lessons for our kids to keep them sharp. School will officially be closed until April 3rd. There is word of our dance studio doing live-streamed classes. Afton's 14 birthday is this weekend. It will be a different kind of celebration. But we are so thankful. There are so many sick, so many hurting financially, and feeling physical and emotional pain. We are safe, we have food, we have each other, we have our home. God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...