Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Conner Fam goes to Colorado

Right after the 4th of July we headed to Colorado for our version of the 'great American road trip'. We usually take the girls to the beach, but this summer we wanted to show them the mountains. Being from North Texas, they didn't have much experience with elevation :) I have to say, I did several things on this trip that scared me. I mean scared me so bad, my adrenaline was pumping! I can't remember the last time I have had that feeling. True, exciting fear. I think that's what happens as you grow up... things get scary! (Here are a handful of photos from our trip!)


We drove straight from our home near Dallas to Colorado Springs. We stayed at the Embassy Suites and had a whole list of things to do while we there.



We hiked along the Arkansas River and then went white water rafting. (This was one of the 'true fear' events!!)




We explored the Garden of the Gods and climbed rocks.




We even took a tour of the Cave of the Winds. (True fear again-- I am horribly claustrophobic and had to mentally force myself deep under ground. It was a mental feat!)




One of the most amazing things was our journey to the top of Pike's Peak via the cog train. I felt like we were on top of the world.





Next we drove to Breckenridge. Breck is so different from Colorado Springs. The mountains, the trees, the temperature. The town here was so appealing! I got up and ran one morning- it was beautiful and it felt so good to be cold! But the air is thin- I could feel the elevation difference in my lungs.






We took the gondola up the mountain to the Fun Park. We bought all day passes and literally stayed the whole time. There was the Alpine Slide (scared me!), a roller coaster, a maze, putt putt, rock climbing (scared again!), rock mining, a bounce house, and a trampoline.







The next day we got up and rented bikes. Afton did awesome on the mountain bike, we recently bought her one like this at home. But the hills got tough! Maisy rode on the 'tag along'- so much better than the baby seat she has been stuck in at home.





We ate a lot of good food and made a ton of priceless memories. I recommend this trip 100% to anyone who is looking for a physically active family vacation. I think there is something to be said for doing things that make you scared once in a while :)


Where we Stayed: 
In Colorado Springs, we stayed at the Embassy Suites
In Breckenridge, we stayed at the Villages of Breckenridge.

Things to Do: 
Rafting trip was through 'Raft Masters' in Canon City.
Alpine Slide and the Fun Park are in Breck.
Cave of the Winds for the cavern tour.
Cog Train to Pike's Peak
Arkansas River hike

Some Places to Eat:
The Keg in Manitou Springs
Rudy's near Garden of the Gods
Mr. Ed's Family Restaurant in Canon City
Sunbird Restaurant in Colorado Springs
Butterhorn Bakery & Cafe in Frisco
Mary's Mountain Cookies in Breckenridge
Michael's Italian in Breckenridge
La Franciase in Breckenridge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...